Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dreaming of summer




From time to time, I propose to send pictures of places I've never seen but would like to visit. The list of candidate places is long, but I'll start with Newfoundland. One reason I'm interested in Newfoundland is that in the summertime, it has icebergs. Another reason is that it used to have Vikings, who lived there in sod huts a thousand years ago. Also, it's got its very own time zone, half an hour ahead of Atlantic time in Eastern Canada. A few years ago, I worked with a guy who visited Newfoundland as often as he could. He said he liked the culture, the lifestyle. When I asked him why, he said, "Well, to start with, there are no jobs, so nobody goes to work."


Finally, a big attraction for me is the berries, especially the kind called bakeapples. I've never tried them, but I'm not worried; I know they'll taste like sunshine in a basket.

1 comment:

mcgrath said...

While searching for a photo of bakeapples I happened upon this site. I take issue with your comments about Newfoundland and Labrador (the correct name of our province). No jobs in Newfoundland and Labrador? I live in Newfoundland and Labrador and have been working here for over 30 years... and that's at my present job. Please don't make comments about things unless you know what you're talking about. The culture is indeed diverse and distinct, and icebergs are usually here in the spring of the year. They are certainly majestic and a site to behold. Why don't you make your way here sometime to view them yourself? I'll give you a tour of my workplace.