Thursday, September 13, 2007

Dr. Bobo, Federal Poppycock, and our Green Truck


Last month on one of these mornings, we noted the acquittal of Tuscaloosa's Dr. Bobo, after two trials and seven years of legal battles concerning charges of bid-rigging state medical-service contracts. His close friend, former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman, was convicted of related charges and is now in prison. This month, their stories were the focus of hearings on Capitol Hill in the widening Congressional probe of politicization of Justice Department prosecutions. 

Back in Alabama, the Tuscaloosa News recently published several letters to the editor such as this one:

"God bless Dr. Bobo. God bless the jury for seeing through the federal prosecutor’s poppycock, and God bless Tuscaloosa through Dr. Bobo’s hands. He’s the best in town, and we sorely need his expertise in his continued practice of medicine."

            For our last word on this affair, we turn to Ted Stein, who has a different take on Dr. Bobo: "His whole family," writes Ted, "had an almost mafia like belief in their own entitlement and their ability to buy whatever and whomever they want, including the ability to get out of trouble for whatever they do.

            "[At a party one night] his son was drunk off his ass and slammed his brand new BMW into your green truck, which was parked in front of his car.

            "His car was severely damaged -- radiator, front right fender, hood, bumper, grill, etc.. The truck had a tiny bit of white paint and a negligible dent. 

            "He drove off.

            "Dr. Bobo called me minutes later and told me that he would pay for everything and something for my troubles if I didn't call the police. Like an idiot, I told him, honestly, that there was no meaningful damage and I had no troubles. He asked if I was going to call the police and I told him no. He thanked me and, I'll bet, promptly forgot about me. 

            "The BMW was brand new again a few days later.”



No comments: